Monday, March 23, 2015

One - Remember to Have Fun

Saving money is important, there's no getting around that. However, so is having a little bit of fun and taking a break here and there. Budgeting for entertainment is a crucial part of maintaining a healthy, sane lifestyle.

If you pinch your pennies and eat the same thing for all three meals, will you have some extra money in the bank? Yes. Will you also be bored out of your mind? Probably. When I first moved to Chicago I walked two miles to my part-time job because I couldn't afford the bus. I ate breakfast burritos from Walgreen's three times a day (which will always hold a special place in my heart), which were high in protein, and during the time I had to myself, I drank $3 bottles of wine and slept. I had calves like Lou Ferrigno, but I was miserable.

When my hours picked up and I made more, I was so used to living this way out of necessity that I kept doing it. You can imagine how quickly you can get burned out on an hour-and-a-half commute on foot and "sweet red". I started budgeting in more exciting food choices and entertainment (stand-up night at the local bar, karaoke, taking the bus to explore the city, etc.) and my outlook became infinitely more positive. Could I have saved and bought myself some nice things or started an IRA? I definitely could have; but, budgeting in time to yourself and activities with friends is priceless. Spend an extra few dollars to treat yourself at the grocery store, hit up local bars that are having specials or just hop a bus to a new place, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment